We are going to discuss an error that occurs when you try to install a program on your Windows computer. The error message reads ‘The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This error can occur if the Windows installer is not correctly installed’.
From the error message details, we understand that this error occurs if the Windows installer files are corrupted or missing. In order to resolve this problem, let us go through some simple solutions in this article.
Solution 1: Confirm that the installer service is running
- Click on the Start menu and select Run
- Type ‘msconfig’ and click Ok
- In the Services tab, check the box next to Windows installer
- Click Ok and restart your computer
Then install Microsoft Office once again and this should help you resolve the error.
Solution 2: Register Windows installer
Please be extra careful while performing this operation as modifying registry values incorrectly can cause major problems. To re-register Windows installer, follow the steps below.
- Click on Start menu and select Search
- Type ‘exe’ in the Search box
- Click on the file and take note of the file’s location
- Then close the Search box and open Run by clicking on Windows + X keys
- Type ‘regedit’ and click Ok
- Go to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer
- Double click on the ‘ImagePath’ folder
- In the ‘Value data’ box, make sure that the location matches the one found in Step 3. If it does not match, change it to the correct path and close the ‘Edit String’ box.
Then exit the registry editor and boot your computer in Safe Mode to register the Msiexec.exe file. To do that, follow the steps below.
- Restart your computer and press the F8 key
- Select SAFE MODE using the arrow keys and hit Enter to boot into Safe Mode
- Once you are logged into Safe Mode, choose the program you want to install and click Enter
- Then click Start > Run
- Type ‘msiexec /regserver’ and click Ok
- Then restart your computer
Solution 3: Reinstall Windows installer
If none of the above methods help you solve the problem, try reinstalling Windows installer by following the steps below.
- Click on Windows + R keys and type ‘cmd’
- In the command prompt, type the following commands and hit Enter after each of them
- ‘cd %windir%\system32’
- ‘ren msi.dll msi.old’
- ‘ren msi.exe msiexec.old’
- ‘ren msihnd.dll msihnd.old’
- Finally, type ‘exit’ and hit Enter
Restart your computer and install the latest Windows installer files. Once that’s done, again restart your computer. This should help you resolve the problem.
Data recovery using Remo Recover
Errors during installation of programs are common and we’ve seen how to resolve such issues. But what’s more common are data loss issues. It can occur due to accidental deletion, during transfer of files or due to various other reasons. In order to resolve this problem and recover data, you can make use of data recovery tools like Remo Recover.
It is a wonderful tool to recover deleted files, Shift + Deleted files, and files lost during transfer or Cut & Paste operations. It can be used to recover permanently deleted files in Windows 8 and other versions as well. If you have encountered such a data loss scenario, now you know which is the right tool for you.