It can get chaotic if your hard disk fails, and you appear to lose all of your files. It can happen on both internal and external drives, and if it happens, you’ll have to choose between giving up and accepting that your files are gone or crossing your fingers and trying various tools. In this article, we have discussed how to successfully recover data from Mac hard drive using Disk Utility, Time Machine. Furthermore, in order to successfully recover the data, we have mentioned effective Mac hard drive recovery software.
Note: Of course, your hard drive could have been damaged by a variety of factors. The first is that the hard drive has been physically damaged, making file recovery considerably more difficult. Alternatively, it’s possible that the hard disk’s logical failure, causes files to be lost without the physical hard drive being harmed. It also means that recovering your Mac or MacBook hard drive can be possible. We’ll go over both scenarios in detail below.
Can Data be Recovered from a Damaged Mac Hard Drive?
Yes, you can recover data from a damaged/corrupted hard drive. Although Mac OS is effective when it comes to performance, however, occasions may occur which can lead to the Mac hard drive is damaged or corrupted. It is recommended to make use of reliable Mac hard drive recovery software by Remo to recover data safely. Then you can make use of a built-in disk utility to repair the corrupted drive.
Note: Causing any mistake while repairing the drive would result in permanent data loss. Therefore it is recommended to recover data prior to repair.
Methods to Recover Data from Mac HDD
Method 1: Recover data from Mac HDD Using Time Machine
The first and most straightforward option is to use the Time Machine backups you’ve taken. If you’ve been utilizing the built-in Time Machine feature on your Mac, it should be making backup copies of your data. This applies to both internal and external hard drives, but the disk that contains the Time Machine backup must be completely working.
- Open Time Machine and use the slider on the right side to Travel back in time before the drive fails to find the file or folder you wish to restore files from Time Machine.
- Right-click on the files/ folder you want to restore and click on the Restore
- Now Save your files or folders in the new location.
The above process works if you have enabled Time Machine Backup. In case you have not taken the backup then move to the next section of the article.
Method 2: Restore Files from Damaged Mac HDD Using Disk Utility
Disk Utility can detect and correct issues in a Mac disk’s formatting and directory structure. Follow the steps below to restore files from damaged HDD on Mac
- Open Disk Utility on your Mac computer.
- There should be a list of drives on the left-hand sidebar. Locate the damaged drive.
- And click on the First Aid option
The drive will be repaired using Disk Utility. If still the issue is not fixed then it is recommended to make use of professional Mac Hard drive recovery software to recover data.
Note: In case your drive is corrupt and looking to restore the data from one volume to another then follow the steps below. By this method, you can backup the data from the corrupt Mac HDD and restore it on another volume,( as it creates an exact copy of the drive).
Steps to Restore a Disk using Disk Utility on Mac (macOS Monterey)
- Open Disk Utility > then go to choose View > Show all devices
- Now select the volume you want to restore and then click on the Restore option
- Click the Restore pop-up menu, then choose the volume you want to copy.
- Click Restore, then click Done.
Method 3: Recover Data from Mac Hard Drive Using Remo Recover Mac
Utilize Remo Recover Mac, a dedicated Mac hard drive recovery software. It is built with a deep scan algorithm that scans every sector to recover data from Mac HDD. It has easy to use interface which makes the recovery process easy, and the software is compatible with all the Mac OS versions like Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina, etc., and supports data recovery from drives formatted with HFS, HFS+, APFS, exFAT file systems. Additionally, it supports deleted or lost volume recovery from various data loss scenarios.
- Download and Install Remo Recover Mac and launch the software and click on the Recover Volume/Drives option, and then click on the Volume Recovery option.
- Select the Volume/Drive from which you want to recover data
- Note: Software starts the scanning process, which may take a few minutes to get complete, after which a list of recovered data will be displayed in File Type View and Data View.
- Finally, click on the Save option to get back the recovered files on the desired location.
How to Recover Data from a Physically Damaged Mac Hard Drive?
You’re significantly less likely to be able to recover your lost files if your hard drive has been physically damaged. In fact, if your hard disk is physically damaged, the best course of action is to either accept the loss of your contents or contact a lab or professional who specializes in damaged drives. They may inform you that your drive is too damaged to retrieve files from, and you’re out of luck in that instance.
There are a few things you can try if you are determined to retrieve the data on your own. To begin, you may purchase a hard drive enclosure and install the hard drive within it. When hard drive enclosures fail but the drive itself is fine, you may be able to recover your data and use the drive normally with simply a new enclosure. If it doesn’t work, you’ll need to enlist the help of data recovery services.
It’s worth setting up Time Machine on your Mac if you don’t want to worry about losing files in the future. In case you forget to take backup of your important data, then make use of reliable Mac Hard drive recovery software by Remo.