The error “Element not found” appeared on Windows systems, is nothing but an explorer.exe error. Typically, “Element not found” error message emerges when the user tries to open an installed application, Microsoft Edge, File Explorer, Command Prompt, Settings, image files using default image viewer, etc.
Tutorial to Fix Element Not Found Error:
In most of the cases, Element not found error code is an indication of corrupted system files on the Windows computer, outdated or faulty driver software, issues with the File Explorer, installed applications conflict, and more. Luckily, you can fix element not found error using the below easy resolutions:
Step 1: Restart Explorer.exe
Since, Element not found error is the issue connected with File Explorer, resetting the explorer in Windows computer may solve the error.
To restart Explorer.exe:
- Open Task Manager by pressing CTRL, Shift, and Esc keys simultaneously
- Switch to Details tab, select exe and click End task button
- You will see a black screen. Now open Task Manager
- Click on File and select Run new task option
- Type explorer/exe and hit OK
Explorer will restart. Check the “element not found” error is fixed.
Step 2: Run SFC
SFC (System File Checker) scans for corruptions in system files and restore them to a healthy state. If Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing, damaged, or corrupted in your Windows computer then running SFC will fix the error “element not found”.
To run the SFC tool:
- Type cmd in the Start search box, right-click on the Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- Next, type sfc /scannow and press Enter key.
- SFC will start scanning and it takes some time to complete the process. Restart the computer when scanning is done.
- Also, try running DISM after the SFC scan using below steps.
- Type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and hit Enter button.
Step 3: Update Driver Software
A common cause behind “Element not found” error is outdated, faulty, corrupted, unsupported, or damaged driver software. So, update or reinstall each Windows driver to fix this error.
To update your driver software:
- Search and open Device Manager from the Start menu.
- Expand your hardware device, select the driver software, and right-click.
- Choose Update driver
- Either search automatically for updated driver software or browse the computer for driver software (if you have downloaded drivers).
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
To reinstall driver:
Choose Uninstall device option instead of Update driver and check “Delete the driver software for this device”. Restart the system and allow Windows to reinstall the drivers.
Step 4: Reset the Application
If “element not found” error popup when you are opening/using a Windows app then, reset that app to fix the error.
To do this:
- Go to Windows Settings and click Apps.
- In the Apps & features window, select the app which you want to reset and choose Advanced options. Click the Reset button.
- Check whether this helps in fixing the error message “element not found” when using the app.
Use Different Application to Open your Files
If the Element not found error code popped when you attempt to open a particular file, then try using a different application to access the file.
Step 5: Remove Windows update
If any recently installed update is causing the error Element not found, then uninstall the update and reboot the Windows computer using these guidelines:
- Open Settings and select Update & Security.
- Select Windows Update, View update history and Uninstall updates.
- Select the appropriate update from the list and Uninstall it.
Step 6: Reset PC
Resetting your computer should be the last solution to try for solving the Element not found error. Even though this process preserves all your personal files and removes only installed applications, several Windows users have struggled to recover data after factory restore or Windows reset. So, it is recommended to backup your important files, just in case.
How to Reset Your PC?
- Go to Settings and select Update & Security.
- Click on the Recovery option and Get started under Reset this PC.
- Complete the on-screen instructions.
Note: Want to recover files after factory reset Windows 10 or any other version of Windows operating system? Then, try this technique.