File System Error (- 2147219196).
The “File System Error (- 2147219196)” appears when the user opens an image, file or try to move a folder in Windows 10 operating systems. The error is seen after the recent Windows update as reported by several users.
- Windows update
- Corrupt or mismatched system files
- Virus attack
- Corrupt hard drive
- Bad sectors
- Installed applications conflict
- File system encryption
- Outdated driver software, etc.
How to Fix File System Error (- 2147219196)?
Step 1: Update Windows
- Type Windows update in the Cortana and select Windows Update Settings.
- Click Check for Updates button and allow Windows to check available updates.
Download and install updates if, any found and restart your computer to verify the file system error (- 2147219196) is solved.
Step 2: Run Virus Scan
- Open Windows Defender and click on Virus & threat protection.
- In Windows Defender Security Centre, choose “Run a new advanced scan” option.
- Select Full scan and hit the Scan Now button.
Wait till the scanning process get completed.
Step 3: Run CHKDSK
Go to Start menu, type cmd. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator. Hit Yes or Allow button to launch the CMD window.
Next, type chkdsk /f/r and press Enter button.
When it is prompted to run a scan the next time you restart the computer, type Y and click Enter.
If, your hard drive is having unfixable bad sectors or it is damaged beyond repair then, you have to format it. It is recommended to retrieve data off a damaged hard drive or from a corrupt disk before you format it since formatting erases your entire data from the affected drive.
In case you want to fix a corrupted hard drive without formatting then, take assistant of a technical expert and fix the drive.
Step 4: Disk Cleanup
- Open Command Prompt (Run as administrator), type below commands and press Enter key after each:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Each command will some little time to complete the scan process. When done, restart your system.
Step 5: Run SFC
- Launch elevated Command Prompt (Run as administrator), type sfc /scannow and hit Enter key.
Stop using the computer until SFC finishes the scanning process. After done you will see any one of the below messages:
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations- Close CMD window
- Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation– If so, then try running the SFC in Safe Mode
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them –Corrupt files are fixed so, restart your system
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them– Check log file and manually replace corrupt files
Step 6: Reset Theme and Store Cache
- Right-click on the desktop and select Personalize option.
- Select Themes. Under Apply a theme, select Windows 10.
- Next, open the Run app (press Windows + R keys), type WSReset.ext and hit OK.
- Once the resetting store cache is done, reboot the computer.
Step 7: Disable Encryption
- Open Control Panel and click on the System and Security button.
- Next, select BitLocker Drive Encryption from the shown options.
- Make sure you will see the “BitLocker off” tag for all drives/partitions.
- If any of the drives are BitLocker encrypted, then Turn Off BitLocker for it.
- Restart the system and check File System Error (- 2147219196) is solved.