Trying to deal with a corrupted SD card? Worried about important data residing on it? So you’re in the right place, keep reading this page and understand how to repair the corrupted SD card and recover the data safely.
Before using major methods, follow the tips below. If one is used, copy and paste your data to another location to repair the card.
- Insert the memory card into all ports on the system and check if you can access the data from it.
- Connect the card to another system and check if you can access it.
- Reinstall the driver
If none of these solutions have helped you access your card, you will need to repair the corrupted SD card using these methods:
Method 1: Change the drive letter
- Connect your memory card to a system
- Then, right click on My Computer / This PC . In the drop-down list, click Manage
- Then, select Disk Management on the left and wait for Windows to load the virtual disk service.
- Right click on your map and click Change Drive Letter and Paths .
- Click on the drive letter (it will turn blue), then press Change .
- Choose the drive letter from the drop-down list and press OK .
Method 2: Repair an Damaged SD Card Using CMD
Note: In this method, Windows forcibly formats the corrupted card. If your card’s data is important, use Remo Recover software and extract your data from the damaged card, save it to a preferred location, and then continue this process.
- Connect the damaged SD card to your computer.
- On the Start button, right-click and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list
- Then the CMD window will open, in this type diskpart and hit Enter .
- Type List disk and click Enter . Next, a list of all storage devices connected to the computer will be displayed.
- Then type select disk <the number of your disk> and Enter .
- In this, type clean and hit Enter .
- Then, type create partition primary and press Enter .
- Type active and Enter , and then type select partition 1.
- Finally, type format fs = fat32 and press Enter .
Method 3: Repair Using Windows Explorer
- Go to My Computer or This PC .
- Choose the corrupt card and right click on it.
- In the drop-down menu, click Format
- Hit Restore Device Defaults from the popup
- Then press Start to start the formatting process. Uncheck the Quick Format option if you want to thoroughly scan the drive / map for errors.
- Hit OK in the next dialog box and you will have your SD card error free.