Working with Outlook in Offline mode generates an Offline Storage Table i.e. OST file. Any changes made to your OST file in offline mode gets automatically synchronized when network connection re-establishes. Thus, your OST file is a replica of entire attributes stored on the Mail Server. So, it is not required to back up your OST data. Hence, most of us don’t do it also.
On the other side, you might be having a lot of contacts stored in your OST file, as you are using it for a long time. You may happen to delete important contacts accidentally or they might go missing due to some unknown reasons.
So, how to recover your contacts from OST file? Well, in this article, I am going to explain two different techniques to retrieve your contacts from OST file.
Technique 1: Traditional Way to Recover Contacts from OST File
- Launch your Outlook application and go to Deleted Items folder.
- Select the contacts that you want to recover.
- Next, right-click on your selected contacts
- Choose Move option from the background menu
- Opt Other folder option.
- In emerged Move Items wizard, specify the folder to save your recovered contacts.
- Select Contacts and hit the OK button.
Now, your selected contacts will move from the Deleted Items folder to your specified folder.
This trick can be used only to recover temporarily deleted OST contacts. In case, you have emptied Trash folder after deleting contacts from your OST file or you want to restore lost contacts then try the next method.
Technique 2: Convert OST to PST
- Download Remo OST to PST Converter and install it on your Windows computer.
- Launch the tool and opt to Select OST File (if you know the OST location) else, select Open OST Fileoption.
- If you have opted Open OST File, then use Findbutton and search your OST file.
- After selecting your OST file, provide the destination to save converted OST file.
- Click on Convertbutton to begin the process.
- Once you see the confirmation message “OST file conversion completed”, go through the converted file.
That’s all. All your deleted/lost contacts along with other attributes like notes, tasks, schedule, calendars, reminders, journals etc. will be restored in the converted file.
Additional info: The second procedure described here to recover contacts from OST file will also fix errors detected in your OST file. Thus, along with recovering deleted or lost attributes of your OST, you can effortlessly resolve issues of the file.
You can use either manual method or automated solution to get back your deleted contacts from OST file, as per your constraint. The manual approach is helpful in cases you want to recover contacts which are temporarily deleted. But, if your contacts are permanently deleted from Outlook OST, then automated solution is always recommended.